Sunday, March 1, 2015

Life Like a Circus Altered Sardine Can

I made an Altered Sardine can back in 2012 and and I loved it so much I have been intending to make another ever since. This one was made especially for the March challenge at Altered Eclectic.

CS Designs Life like a Circus Altered Sardine Can Front view


I love this can because it is shorter and fatter than all the others so I was able to add quite a few elements to it.  The endearing clown is from my new line of Curios, Collectable and Ephemera digital stamp collection. and I colored him with Prismacolor pencils and blended hims with odorless turpentine. I have tried copic markers but keep coming back to my colored pencils. The sentiment is also new. I didn't have any sentiments with a circus theme so just came up with this one.

The Sardine Can: 
Because these types of cans are so shiny, it is often hard to get paint to stick to them so to start I gave it a couple of layers of Modge Podge and when dry painted on a layer of Orange Acrylic Paint. In between coats, I also added layers of Gel Medium and applied a bit of Yellow, Red and Metallic Blue. Because I wanted it to look rather distressed, I applied some layers with a small sea sponge.
CS Designs Life like a Circus Altered Sardine Can side view

I though the outside of the can looked rather plain, so I added some torn pieces from a couple of old book pages and then painted them with a light was of orange acrylic and then added some of the same colors I applied to the rest of the can.


Additional Elements.


As can be seen under the other elements I also added bits of the book pages to the inside of the sardine can. At the top I added a punched flowers and directly over that I created a coil from my gold jewelry wire, then added a gem for a bit of bling. The Orange netting is actually a piece of plastic bag Onions came in. I have been saving it for Halloween but think it is perfect for this project. The Orange and Black Diamond Background is one of my original designs from my Digital Engraving background digital stamp series. which yo can find on my CS Designs shop.

CS Designs Life like a Circus Altered Sardine Can Elements view


I hope you enjoyed my project.and  have a great day. I also hope you will come share your own art with us in this month's challenge at Altered Eclectic. Be sure to check out all the projects by the rest of the team. These ladies do some pretty awesome work and sure you don't want to miss it.

My Circus Altered Sardine Can is entered in the following challenges
Rhedd's Creative Spirit ... Altered Art

7 comments:

Carol said...

Love this Chris...a gorgeous little piece of artwork. Carol x

Elaine aka Ellapu said...

Fabulous work of art Chris. I love the colours, design, all the elements - the list can go on and on lol. Love it xx

steffi said...

Fabulous altered tin Chris! I've done altoids and others but would never have thought of using a sardine one - this is great - love the colours (the blue is a great add) and your stamps - I shall have to check those out!! Steffi :o) xx

Desire Fourie said...

Wow Chris, this is amazing. So much awesome detail and vibrant colours in a very small space. You are surely gifted xxx
Hugs
Desíre
{Doing Life – my personal blog}

Claire said...

Beautiful artwork Chris, so much detail on such a tiny project
Claire xx

Joi at RR said...

Heheheh - this is so fun. What a great work in such a tiny space! Love the colors. j.

Nan Bourdeu said...

Absolutely love altering sardine cans!! This one is fun and original! Thanks for sharing with us at Rhedd's Creative Spirit this month! ~Nanette, DT~