Monday, November 17, 2014

Material Girl Sewing Shadow Frame Button Bracelet

Material Girl Sewing Shadow Frame and button bracelet

Was this ever alot of fun !!!

 Every time I go into a second hand shop I automatically end up in the frame section and what I usually look for the most are shadow frames. I can never seem to get enough of them and I have quite a few large stacks sitting on my art room shelves and lots of ideas for using them and thought that it was about time to start putting them to good use.

 I created the 2 projects in this post specially for the current challenge over at Recycle, Re-Purpose & Re-Invent. Although it has an Anything Goes Theme for everyone else who enters, the Team is doing a  Sewing theme called Material Girl and I wanted to inspire you with more than my art. There are so many lovely things in the world and sometimes we overlook them because they are worn or old. So along with my Art for today, I am sharing some of my collections that are not new which I think adds to their rare uniqueness and even rare beauty.

Material Girl Recycle challenge button bracelet


Going with the sewing theme, I emptied the shadow box of it's previous contents which was just a rather ugly plastic coffee cup. As the main focal point for my Material Girl Shadow Box I used  one of my new Asian Toy digital stamp designs. This is the first time I have used her but she depicts a spool of thread which matches my sewing theme and I also love quirky she is.

Recycled Book Page Paper RosesI colored her with a mix of Bic Markers and Prismacolor Pencil and used two Popsicle sticks on the back of her to give her extra height and give the piece a more 3d look. For the background and various elements I used digital designs from my Material Girl / Sewing Collection.

The Paper Rose at the corner of my Shadow Frame was made from an old book page which I painted with watercolor. I attached the Paper Rose to the top a wrapped Spirelli Shape Piece which is similar to the designs in my Spireli Ready to Print and Cut Kit.

For my second project I created a Sewing Theme Charm Bracelet. I have been wanting to make a bracelet like this for a very long time and love how it turned out.


Altered Recycled Button Bracelet

 Almost all the things used on my bracelet are either things I have had just about forever or fabulous 2nd store finds I have been collecting.

Recycled Sewing Button Bracelet
The little face attached on top of the large blue button is a face I molded out of Paper Clay about 10 years ago. I had a little bag full of these sitting in one of my printer drawers and though my bracelet needed something more arty.

Now that I have found my faces again, I will probably be using them for other projects. I also made the original mold which will also enable me to make an endless supply.Even though my bracelet according to Hubby looks like it has quite a bit on it already, I am sure there is room for adding more elements should something really fabulous and cool come to mind later on.


Vintage Spools & Tatting
For a little sewing accessories basket and to show off some of my moments, I used my little duck basket which I have so long I have forgotten where I got it.

About 25 years ago I was really into cross stitching and the small piece on the wooden hoop is a mini I never did anything with. I used some of my Cross Stitch / Embroidery Thread to wrap around my digital Paper Spool.

Antique & Vintage Powder Puff
To go with the sewing theme, I though you might also enjoy seeing some my of other treasures. I have 4 shoe boxes full of old vintage wooden spools that belonged to my grandmother who was a seamstress, and above are some of my favorite spools.

The bit of tatting at the bottom of the spools was done by my Husbands Grandmother who passed away many years ago. It is frayed and worn but I have kept in in my sewing box all these years to remind me of her as she was a really sweet woman who enjoyed creating as much as I do..


The Power Puff to the top left is as old as the spools and the ornate belt buckle shown below all belonged to my grandmother and I think they must be about 60 years old as I have had them for more than half of that. The powder puff and the buckle look like Art Nouveau designs


Vintage Art Nouveau buckle
Recycled Material List:
2nd Hand Shadow Frame
Book Page for Paper Rose
2 Popsicle Sticks for extra height
Silver Color Sewing Bobbin
Black Snaps
Homemade Paper Clay Face

Bracelet List:
silver garden wire, wire cutters and jewelry tools
Buttons, Zipper Pull, Wine Charm Hearts,
Safety Pins, Seed Beads, black sewing snaps, charms


Other General Material List:
Vintage Thread SpoolCard-stock, double sided tape, Alcohol Pen, Prismacolor Pencils, pop dots, buttons, beads, amber rhinestone, Embroidery Thread, Stick Pin

After all these years, the Spool on the right still happens to have some satin tread on which is rare in-itself. The thread is very fragile but has the most lovey soft texture when you feel it.

The old Singer Sewing Machine I used as a backdrop has been sitting in my basement for about 35 years and although it is missing the cabinet I have the treadle part which my Hubby turned into a table for me. Did I forget to mention that I have a really old typewritten that belonged to my Hubby's grandmother sitting in my basement as well, Hum, I see some possibilities there.

Lastly some photos of my old Singer Sewing Machine. It has seen better days bu I think still quite beautiful.  I love the detail work that the old machines had, and is missing in more modern machines. This was probably an expensive machine in it's time and I bet also very impressive when it was new.


 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




I hope you enjoyed my projects for today as well as seeing some of my collections from days gone by.

I also hope you pop on over to Recycle, Re-Purpose & Re-Invent and check out the gorgeous things the rest of the team has made. While you are there be sure to join our challenge.

My Material Girl projects are entered in the following Challenges::
Rhedd's Creative Spirit ... November Challenge
Not Just Cards ... Anything Goes #6
That's Crafty ... Anything Vintage

Update: Top 5 Winner ... Not Just Cards

11 comments:

Desire Fourie said...

I absolutely adore the sewing scene inside your beautiful frame. And of course the button bracelet is just so fun and I love it that it is functional. Wow this was a wonderful trip down sewing's memory lane. Those old machines had so much character and work of arts on their own.
My late Mom sewed all our clothes from my school clothes, suits for my late Dad and even my wedding dress, all this whilst being in a wheel chair with arthritis.
Oh wow what an honour to have been chosen as one of the top three. Thank you so much. Huge congrats also to my fellow top three and the winner. Also thank you to the design team for their inspirational creations. Hugs Desíre {Doing Life}

Zoe said...

Wow, such a lot going on today. Love the colours you have used in the frame.The bracelet is adorable and a lovely, wearable piece of art. The sewing machine is amazing. The one I have, like your, has been converted to electric, which although it still works - its lost its magic! Thank you so much for joining us this week at Not Just Cards Challenges Good luck and We hope you'll join us again soon.
Zoe x
Handmade with lots of Love

Melissa Latchem said...

Fantastic projects - I so want that bracelet!! you are clearly a talented lady!! Many thanks for joining the Rhedd's Creative Spirit challenge and good luck!!! Melissa (DT)

Vickie Y said...

Beautiful sewing project! Love the bracelet!

Ingrid Kristina V said...

Hi Chris! Thank you for your sweet comment! I look forward to working with you too! x
I love all this vintage goodness! I used to love going through my grandma's wardrobes and cupboard to see what interesting items she had there... I haven't changed much! I love 'original' and 'unique' and get really excited when I spot some! I love your art as it is exactly that! xx

Ellis said...

Fabulous shadow box you made, love all the details! =) Your Singer is a beauty, always nice to keep old machines. Great bracelet and lot's of fun charms.
Hugs, Elenor

Sandra Wright said...

Wow Chris, your projects are fabulous...loving the frame and the images and I've fallen in love with your bracelet.
Thank you for joining in with our November Challenge...x

Michele said...

i love all the special things you've shared! the shadow frame is just lovely and the little spool makes it extra special. and i love love love your bracelet too. great post! xo

DonnaMundinger said...

What an adorable little collage you've created in your fab frame, Chris! And your bracelet it to die for! Love seeing all your wonderful collections. Looked for that little Asian stamp in the store but didn't see it. Still need to sort out my choices for my win. xxD

Kat said...

Great project, Chris! Thanks so much for participating in our Not Just Cards Challenge Blog.
Hugs, Kat DT

♥ Kakichka Blog ♥

♥ Kartishok - blog for ideas ♥

Beccalite said...

WOW I love your projects, the sewing frame is wonderful and I so so want your bracelet. Fabulous work, you are so talented.

Thank you so much for coming over and joining in with us at Rhedds Creative Spirit.

Great Big Huge Hugs

Becca xx (DT Member)